Re: [TowerTalk] Is there tower mfg aluminum tower like Rohn 25

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is there tower mfg aluminum tower like Rohn 25
From: "Joe Giacobello, K2XX via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 16:07:09 -0500
FWIW, I have purchased two used Heights aluminum towers over the years. Neither is intended for the support of any stacked arrays of large Yagis, etc., but that is not to say that they may not be capable of that service when properly guyed.

The first was acquired from a relatively local ham whose QTH was about 150 miles from mine. It was a 69 foot tower and included a HB tilt base. I paid $300 for it. Aside from the bargain price, I appreciated its light weight and the fact that it breaks down into eight foot long sections, which all are easily loaded and transported in the bed of a conventional P/U truck without exceeding any load weight limits. This tower is currently used as a bottom section of an 80/160M vertical. After horizontal assembly and while supported by easily available saw horses and/or step ladders, I called my friendly, local tow-truck provider, and it was easily raised on the the tilt-base with a pre-attached steel cable at about the tower's 40 foot level for the towing cost of $75. The conductive cable is shorted to one of the tower legs by wrapping it around the leg so it's conveniently available for future use and to prevent it from affecting the radiator length.

The second tower is 56 feet long and was acquired by a pre-arranged pick up at Dayton last year and using a similar pick-up truck. With the help of the seller and because of rain, we easily transferred the entire tower from his P/U truck to mine under the canopy of the Xenia Ramada. Although I have fallen behind my original schedule for installation of that tower, a tilt-base was fabricated by a local welder and has already been installed in a concrete base. The purchase price was, IIRC, around $700 or so for the tower and I hope to support a low-band RX array on it, if all goes well.

The obvious attractiveness of such used towers is its easy, inexpensive one-man loading and transportation with similar one-man assembly and installation, e.g., by using the leverage obtained by the 69 foot torque arm at the end of the tower, one person was able to easily raise the horizontal assembled tower on its tilt-base and support it on saw horses. The cost of the towers on the used market seems far below what Heights typically charges for new. YMMV, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with Heights or Universal aluminum towers for my modest applications in the future.

73, Joe
K2XX
Richard (Rick) Karlquist <mailto:richard@karlquist.com>
Monday, February 11, 2019 12:25 PM
FWIW, I have an 11 inch aluminum tower of unknown manufacture
that has been holding up a 2 element SteppIR at 40 feet for
many years.  It is guyed at the top with so-called "truck
rope".  Erection is via a 30 ft falling derrick made of the
same 10 ft tower sections.  It just barely accommodates
an HD73 rotator in one particular location within the
section, inserted in the section before assembling the
sections into a tower.

Rick N6RK

john@kk9a.com <mailto:john@kk9a.com>
Sunday, February 10, 2019 3:13 PM
I have owned a few Universal towers. I had one at my Aruba home along with a
Rohn 55g tower, guess which one did not require frequent painting for
corrosion maintenance? N9IWW is apparently looking for an aluminum Rohn 25.
A 12" Universal tower is not very strong. The Universal Tower joints are a
poor design, in my opinion. They upside down so water and dirt collect
inside them and the supplied cheap zinc plated hardware will quickly
disintegrate.

John KK9A

n8de wrote:

I have had great success with Universal towers ... the sections are
10' in length (most Heights tower sections are 8'), and, using the
proper taper schedule, a 60 to 80 foot tower with great wind load
ability is not difficult.

Presently, I have 3 up ... a fourth goes up this year .. and plans
include three more.

Don't think cheap ... they aren't .. but, are all SELF-SUPPORTING, and
no guy-wires are needed. ... nor recommended.

73
Don
N8DE