Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 15:29:14 -0700

If you think the wrong questions are being answered it's because those formulas assume that you either know or want to know the amount of inductance you need or have.  There is no way any of those formulas are going to tell you how much inductance you need to resonate any particular antenna.

And what don't you know, or can't easily find out, about #8 gauge copper wire from a big box store?  Dimensions and resistivity are available in hundreds of places online.  It's even pretty easy to estimate the Q of such a coil, at least closely enough for most needs.  I could probably even come up with a good estimate for the stray capacitance without much effort.

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect a single formula to account for every possible real world scenario, the expectation being that you know how to apply the right formulas for the task at hand.

Dave   AB7E