[TowerTalk] WX Sensor Placement

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WX Sensor Placement
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 13:37:55 -0500
This made me wonder about sensor placement. I have had a number of different wx stations and the instructions most provide for the placement of the outdoor temperature sensor is to simply mount it on the north side of the house just under the eaves. This kind of makes sense as it will be away from direct sunlight but what about the heat from the house?

How many do this and does it work for you? Do your temperature readings match those or come very close to an "official" local temp like at an airport.

Has anyone else noticed just how critical the placement of this sensor really is? I have 2-3 outside sensors in different locations and they all read differently, sometimes as much as a 4F delta. I made sure they were all calibrated inside the house to read the same then installed them outside. Once the sun goes down my readings stabilize and my readings are within a degree of the "official" airport temperatures. During the day, esp summer time the readings can be all over the place.

I know enough to keep them out of the sun, away from objects that can absorb & retain heat, off the ground at least 10' or so, not above concrete, etc......and yet I see big differences. So my question is where and how do people mount their temperature sensors?

Also does anyone know where and how the "official" temperature sensors used by the NWS are mounted in places like airports?

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....