[TowerTalk] Limit sensors

To: Larry Stowell <wa2fif@att.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Limit sensors
From: john <john@thelongs.us>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 13:25:57 -0700
I have a Tri-ex 72' motorized tower that does not have any limit sensors on
it.I would like suggestions about adding them to the tower and where to source
them from.I'm good with electronics so designing the wiring will be a piece of
cake for me.JohnKW7A Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Larry Stowell <wa2fif@att.net> Date:
3/3/19  12:02 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] WX Sensor Placement I think that the NOAA "standard for temp
reading is 5 ft above ground and some whatin the clear. I've read that
somewhere and for the last several years used that my sensor has the
"radiation" shieldso it can't get direct sun.73 Larry K1ZWOn 3/3/2019 1:37 PM,
Gedas wrote:> This made me wonder about sensor placement. I have had a number
of > different wx stations and the instructions most provide for the >
placement of the outdoor temperature sensor is to simply mount it on > the
north side of the house just under the eaves. This kind of makes > sense as it
will be away from direct sunlight but what about the heat > from the house?>>
How many do this and does it work for you? Do your temperature > readings match
those or come very close to an "official" local temp > like at an airport.>>
Has anyone else noticed just how critical the placement of this sensor > really
is? I have 2-3 outside sensors in different locations and they > all read
differently, sometimes as much as a 4F delta. I made sure > they were all
calibrated inside the house to read the same then > installed them outside.
Once the sun goes down my readings stabilize > and my readings are within a
degree of the "official" airport > temperatures. During the day, esp summer
time the readings can be all > over the place.>> I know enough to keep them out
of the sun, away from objects that can > absorb & retain heat, off the ground
at least 10' or so, not above > concrete, etc......and yet I see big
differences. So my question is > where and how do people mount their
temperature sensors?>> Also does anyone know where and how the "official"
temperature sensors > used by the NWS are mounted in places like airports?>>
Gedas, W8BYA>> Gallery at http://w8bya.com> Light travels faster than
sound....> This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.>>
On 3/3/2019 1:19 PM, Michael Forinash wrote:>> I bought a Davis Weather Station
for my wife, who is a Weatherbird, >> seven years ago. As I recall, it was a
six hundred dollar unit. In >> the past seven years, the only maintenance I
have performed on it is >> remove a seed (from my neighbor’s tree) that blocks
the flow of >> moisture through its self-emptying range gauge. It has a solar
panel >> that recharges the unit’s rechargeable batteries. I have yet to >>
change them.>>>> The unit is attached to a twelve-foot pole.>>>> The
installation instructions are a little vague on various points, >> but that’s
the only criticism I can make of this package. Not a cheap >> station, but one
my wife has been happy with, as the base unit sits >> on a end table by her
chair in our living room. She checks the base >> station five or six times a
day when she’s not monitoring the Weather >> Channel or the ND DOT online.>>>>
73,>> Mike>> KB0RIA>>>