Re: [TowerTalk] F-connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] F-connectors
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 20:18:42 -0700
Certainly not reason -- SnapNSeal makes crimp BNC connectors to fit most CATV coax.  I have some!  AND -- RG6 does NOT define the size of coax, nor the shield, nor the center conductor.

Indeed, there are many variations of CATV coax -- there are some designated RG59, RG6, and RG11, and within those designations are solid copper or CCS steel shield, variations in the number and type of shields -- everything from a single foil, single foil plus single braid, and dual foils with dual braids. Virtually all shields for these CATV coaxes are aluminum.  AND each RG-number and each shield type require differently sized crimp connectors.

Not only that, but there are multiple grades of F-connectors. Poke around the internet for SnapNSeal and Belden are two of the better brands.

The primary reason for using F-connectors is that the CATV cables require crimp connectors, and F-connectors have dominated CATV/MATV because they are fairly inexpensive and very easy to install with the proper tools.  Back in the '70s, one of my gigs was installing CATV/MATV systems in Chicago high-rise buildings, include Sears Tower. The connectors we used then were quite primitive as compared to those in use today.

73, Jim K9YC