Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: F-connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: F-connectors
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 19:08:23 -0500
Agreed Jim!

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

On 3/14/2019 1:38 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 3/14/2019 10:30 AM, Kirk Kleinschmidt via TowerTalk wrote:
The cable has loss figures equivalent or slightly better than generic RG-8

Physics from an alternate universe! At least three reasons why this cannot be true.

First, the center of most CATV coax is CCS, which is equivalent to solid copper at VHF/UHF, but not below 5 MHz, where most hams use it. Second, the shield is Al and often flimsy, so shield resistance is greater than coax with a decent copper braid. Third, because the shield diameter of RG6 cables is much less than RG8, resistance is greater due to conductor diameter.

, and if you want even better specs, use RG-11.

Yes. But for the reasons noted above, I use RG11 cables like Belden 8213 and a decent  equivalent mfd for Davis RF. I've measured loss of the Davis cable and 8213 with a VNA, and found them equivalent.

73, Jim K9YC