Re: [TowerTalk] Liquid Electrical Tape?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Liquid Electrical Tape?
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:40:15 -0500
In the olden days I used to use Glyptal (a high voltage resistant lacquer) to seal the edges of multi-layered glass covered narrow band UV filters.  The filters came in 4x4 inch standard size.  I had them sawn into 3/4 by 3/4 inch pieces and then had to seal the edges against moisture intrusion as the filters were used in medical equipment used in a moist environment.  I never had a failure relating to the use of the Glyptal as a moisture barrier.

I would think that Glyptal would do a good job in sealing things against moisture intrusion provided the area treated with it did not flex so much as to significantly stress the flexibility of the Glyptal.

Anyone out there have personal experience with Glyptal as a water tight sealant?

Patrick        NJ5G