Re: [TowerTalk] 4.3-10 Connector for RG8

To: "'Steve Maki'" <lists@oakcom.org>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4.3-10 Connector for RG8
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 11:00:28 -0400
> Yup. However, if big coax was still being run up cell towers,
> you would
> see 4.3-10 gradually appearing on those lines, to simplify
> jumper stock.

Meh.  It's pretty rare to see anything other than pre-fab jumpers being used
any more for any carrier's installations.  Hard-heads like me who still
field-fabricate jumpers after having been burned too many times by
factory-made ones are the exception the days, not the norm.  That said,
ordering a 7-16 to 4.3-10 jumper versus 4.3-10 to 4.3-10 doesn't affect the
bottom line, and the 7-16 makes for a better transition (both size-wise and
ruggedness) to the larger-diameter vertical run.

> A case could be made for manufacturers (including ham), going
> forward,
> to replace N & UHF with 4.3-10, even if low PIM isn't needed, because
> they would only have to deal with one connector for everything.

I wish the ham world would eliminate UHF altogether, but I still run into
guys who refuse to even put a type N connector on coax, or if they do, they
use those solder-on ones that are made like UHF connectors.  Or they put
adapters on anything that doesn't natively use UHF.

> Won't happen until the price comes way down, and the price won't come
> down until they sell a lot, so...

That's why 7-16 DIN is a good way to go for feedline runs, at least right
now for hams scavenging take-downs or buying cable and connectors on the
surplus market.

                                --- Jeff WN3A

---