[TowerTalk] 4.3-10 Connector for RG8

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4.3-10 Connector for RG8
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 09:21:19 -0700
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 11:00:28 -0400
From: "Jeff DePolo" <jd0@broadsci.com>
To: "'Steve Maki'" <lists@oakcom.org>, "'towertalk'"
<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4.3-10 Connector for RG8

<I wish the ham world would eliminate UHF altogether, but I still run into
<guys who refuse to even put a type N connector on coax, or if they do, they
<use those solder-on ones that are made like UHF connectors.  Or they put
<adapters on anything that doesn't natively use UHF.

> Won't happen until the price comes way down, and the price won't come
> down until they sell a lot, so...

<That's why 7-16 DIN is a good way to go for feedline runs, at least right
<now for hams scavenging take-downs or buying cable and connectors on the
<surplus market.

< Jeff WN3A

##  why would hams want to use a Type N  for HF use??   Type N has the puny bnc
sized
center conductor.   1.625 heliax,  with a type N looks pretty  silly  with that
tiny bnc sized pin.

##  Silver plated +  teflon  UHF are ample for HF ham gear.     For  RG-393, or
bigger coax,
7-16  works superb.

##  They still make  13-30  connectors..which are huge things vs a 7-16 din.

##  PIM is a non issue for ham gear.   Type N and a 4.3-10 might make sense for
220  +  440 mhz  +  960  + 1296 mhz  etc.

##  7-16 chassis female is not much bigger than a type N  or  UHF.
1.25  inch x  1.25 inch.......... vs  1 inch x 1 inch.

Jim   VE7RF