Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower

To: "reflector Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 13:34:46 -0700
Maximum force in the rope is 743 pounds.

This is a "sum of the moments" problem.

The tower won't start to move until the rotating force in foot-pounds about the hinge in the upward direction exceeds the foot-pounds in the downward direction

Foot-pounds in the downward direction = (50#)(40') + (160#)(20') = 5200 ft-lbs.
where:
50# is the weight of the load 40' from the hinge
160# is the weight of 4 sections of Rohn 25 with CG at a distance of 20' from the hinge

If you attach a line to the tower at 10' out and to the house at 10' up, the closest approach of that rope to the hinge is 7'. That is the distance you use to figure the leverage of the rope.

Force in the rope = 5200 ft-lbs / 7' = 743 pounds
where
5200 is the downward moment
7' is the leverage distance of the rope.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

-----Original Message----- From: Dave Tipton