Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 22:06:12 -0700
On 6/29/2019 3:01 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
Santa Cruz County is the most difficult permitting in the whole state
of California. Good luck.

Matthew knows whereof he speaks. I live in Santa Cruz county, and every local ham I've met has said to not go near the building dept. With your resources, I would do as much as I could with wires in trees. No permits required. There are people you can hire to put pulleys high up in tall trees, from which you can hang dipoles, which are very effective antennas. I have dipoles at right angles to each other at 120 ft for 80 and 40, and at 100 ft for 30. I have a Tee vertical for 160 with a 100 ft vertical section.  In 12 years, I have 163 confirmed on 160, 225 on 80, 276 on 40, and 239 on 30. 20 and 17 are the only bands above 30M with propagation for the next four years, while the lower bands are getting better each year. I would concentrate on figuring out the simplest, least obtrusive way to rig the small 2-el SteppIR.  Like not very high in the middle of trees on your property.

73, Jim K9YC