Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ken.bauer@mac.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My First Tower
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 17:06:33 +0000 (UTC)
>  1. Is a crank up out of the question, given the location? Not sure how to
>get it up a sandy/loose dirt hillside. I hear some will not climb crank ups,
>afraid of guillotine effect... I don?t think I would have room to do a tilt
>over.
Hiya, Ken -
    Sure, a crank-up would probably work. If you use 2x4's or some pipes thru
the tower faces as safety rigging, it'd be safe enough that I'd climb it.

>  2. Guyed or unguyed? Is the primary consideration the cost difference?
>Looking at Rohn 65G 65SS050 as it says it can handle 29.3 sq ft antenna at
>70mph & 19.7 sq ft ant at 80mph, 14.5 sq ft at 90mph. DB-18E is 12.1 sq ft.
>The antenna/tower location is on one side of a saddle point and winter winds
>come whipping in sometimes during storms.

    Yes, you get big venturi forces on a hillside so you're well advised to be
conservative with your project.

    I didn't see what height you were shooting for. Cost-wise you're probably
in the same ballpark for either guyed or self-supporting. A crank-up will be
seriously downrated compared to R65 or even R45.
>  Given the tight space, hauling the antenna straight up next to the tower
>without having to wig-wag or use a rather tight tram-line, not having guys
>seems an advantage.
    There you go.

>  3. Am going into the county offices on Tuesday on another matter, and
>thought perhaps I would begin investigating the Antenna Structure Permitting
>process. Advice? How prepared in advance should I be?
    Yes - re-read the two chapters on regulations and DO NOT talk to anyone
until you've familiarized yourself with the pertinent codes and rules. If you
do, you'll probably know more than the person you're talking to.

    In light of the serious problems with tower permitting in Santa Cruz
County, I wouldn't talk to anyone. It sounds like any tower you put up would be
pretty hidden in the trees and ignored by neighbors and county officials.

>  4. There?s a lot of additional safety equipment, tools, parts, etc. that
>goes along with this erection process. Am I better off finding a company to do
>this for me? I?m pretty handy, and also like climbing, I?ve done indoor rock
>climbing for many years - I just figured that improving / maintaining /
>fiddling with things would be non-stop once it was erected.
    Your installation has some built-in problems that a professional will have
answers and options for. Plus, as you mentioned above, they'll have all of the
equipment required already.

>  5. What am I likely overlooking?
    Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Keep reading and post
specific question to TT. And I would suggest limiting a post to one or two
questions. Trying to cover everything in one email just makes things more
cumbersome.

Cheers & GL,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH -Professional tower services for amateur
and commercialCell: 206-890-4188