Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 12:21:03 -0700
On 6/30/2019 9:34 AM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
I'll build my own if I knew what good wire (probably should be insulated as
it'll be amongst lots of trees and other vegetation), center insulator and
ladder line to use. TIA!

Hi Steve,

In what environment will the antenna(s) be used?  That is, are you in the middle of nowhere, or do you have neighbors with noisy electronics? My estimate is that the average home has at least two dozen noise makers. The two antennas you noted cannot be choked to minimize noise pickup on the feedline.

My strong recommendations are for resonant antennas fed with coax, because 1) they have predictable patterns; 2) they can be effectively choked; and 3) they work well. If you have neighbors, they are the only good choice -- if you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em!

73, Jim K9YC