Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 12:08:24 -0500
Plus it would be dangerous to be outside cranking down a tower during tornado or microburst and it may jam from the extreme side wind force. I would not want to rely on having to crank down a tower to survive normal heavy winds however in hurricane prone areas crank-up towers may be good option. Most of the guyed towers that I know of in St Croix fell down during Hurricane Maria and most crank-up towers in the down position survived. Hurricane paths are predicted days in advance so there is plenty of time to lower a tower and even remove the antennas if desired.

73,

John KK9A - WP2AA

Bob KQ2M wrote

I don’t know how long is required to crank down at 89’ crank-up at full extension but I would suspect that it is at least 90 seconds.

At this qth, when a Tornado or macroburst/microburst winds are approaching, I get about 30 seconds warning from the oncoming “roar” of wind crashing through the trees. The noise is loud, distinct and unmistakable. If at that exact moment I started to crankdown an 89’ tower, I doubt that it would have been lowered enough by the time the winds arrived to make it the rest of the way safely. If it took me a minute or two to get to the station to lower the tower, I’m sure that it would be already too late. That’s probably what happened with the guy with the tall tower, anemometer and winch.

The other issue with such violent winds is that they are usually hurling debris as they come in. All it would take is one solid branch or piece of something wedging into the tower at a strategic spot to stop the winch dead in its tracks. Game over for the tower. BTW, this is one reason why Tornados are so dangerous – often significant damage is caused to objects by debris picked up and hurled somewhere else outside of the funnel.

Bob KQ2M