Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Zones
From: Don <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 13:46:26 -0700
I never timed the manual time to run my HyGain HG-70HD crankup up or down because I always do it in 'shifts' with rests (maybe sit in a chair and work a 807 over for a few minutes), but I know it is about 520 turns up and 520 turns down plus more because I never fully extend it, the raised height short about 1-2 feet per section.  I have the original HyGain tower electric hoist system in two boxes (opened only to inspect) but never found a reason to install it. The exercise of cranking is good for me anyway.

I do exercise the winch once a month a few turns to ensure the pads are always free (salt air and all that). I do bring the tower down in the summer for cleanup, inspection and any needed repair (this time it will be replace coax to the 2 M antenna, seems to have developed some 'bumps'). Beyond that it comes down only when absolutely necessary.

All of my sheave pulleys are SS and the shafts have also been replaced with SS with SS clips on each end. All cable hardware (bolts, nuts, washers) were  changed over to SS. I use CorrosionBlock grease on all of the shafts and good cable lube (couple of brands including Prelub 6) carried by our local ship fleet rigger. As best I can I stay away from anything that will rust in salt air.

Thank gosh for the tiltover fixture my local ship welding shop made for me with the double pulley arrangement. More turns but less work to lay everything over. They said we could hoist a tank!!

We've had some pretty strong blows, up into the low 80's a few times over the years in the winter, but have not had any issues to date, tower or antennas. The tower anchors the  40/80/160 fan dipole which has around 60 deg between the wires horizontally, all ends around 30-40 feet high. Wanted to use one of KF7P's wire antenna standoff's but unfortunately it wouldn't dimensionally fit the HG-70HD so had one made locally.

Oh, and the smaller cable for the upper sections is SS wire rope on the advice of the ship rigger again. The original had stretched so thought we'd go ahead and replace it. He showed me that it was just as good for the use as regular wire rope cable. Still great even after 15 years when he inspected the cables for me. The larger lower section wire rope is the original that came with the tower and is also OK.

Now, if I lived in tornado or hurricane country I might do things 'up and down' differently. But here it's just typically moderate winds, sunny summer skies, great salmon and steelhead fishing and an average rainfall (Jan-Dec) of around 70 inches. In July thru Sept we may get a few days in the 80's but the 20 year monthly Jul thru Sept high temp AVERAGE is a little over 60 with a warming trend.

Don W7WLL