[TowerTalk] Push Up Al Mast

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Push Up Al Mast
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:24:50 -0700
Here's my response to a similar post on the NCCC reflector last week.  May not help Maximo, but a great solution for hams in NA. Glen and I heard about the idea from K7JA as part of talk he gave several years ago.

73, Jim K9YC

My latest inquiry is regarding push-up poles for portable HF operations.

Check out slide #13 in http://k9yc.com/7QP.pdf

The mast is built from 4-ft sections of surplus Al mast sections, and a tripod adapter that W6GJB found at Dayton several years ago. Two sections in each leg of the tripod puts it about 5.5 ft above ground, so sections can be pushed up through the tripod.

Here's a source of the sections. google will find more. The company also sells guy rings.

https://www.tmastco.com/main/page_products_mast_sections.html

Here's the tripod adapter we use. They also sell the mast sections, guy rings and other accessories. The SMOOTH aluminum sections are the ones that work with this setup.

https://goverticalusa.com/collections/antenna-mast-sections-tripod-and-base-camo-pole-section-kit/products/antenna-tower-aluminum-tripod-base-for-use-with-military-48-mast-pole-orange

W6GJB found a slick aircraft tie-down anchor that can be driven into the ground almost anywhere. http://www.flyties.com/images/flytiespack.jpg

The antenna rope that HRO sells works fine for guying. You'll probably want to rig a marine pulley for the rope to the antenna.

We've used one of these masts to hold the center of an inverted Vee, but properly guyed, two of them could also hold a flat dipole.

73, Jim K9YC