Re: [TowerTalk] measuring impedances with a VNA

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] measuring impedances with a VNA
From: Edward Mccann via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 22:16:56 -0700
In fact, common mode impedance through a common mode choke (read 1:1 current
Balun) actually involves the inside of the coax shield, the outside of the coax
shield, and the center conductor.

So, how my question was hoping to have some response as to how choking
impedance might actually be measured. Jim Brown’s work is immense, and used
laboratory-level equipment to determine his results.

Would be pleased to hear what connects to what, after calibration, on a one
port VNA (say Sark-110 or AIM-417O) and the more advanced two port units, with
the coax in and out of the 1:1 current Balun.

Would also be interested to hear what success has been had (and what accuracy)
in such measurements involving s bifilar-wound 1:1 current Balun.

Not much written on how to do it, or how to interpret results, best I can find.

73,
Ed McCann
AG6CX

Sent from my iPhone