Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R (Bruce Meier N1LN)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R (Bruce Meier N1LN)
From: "Bruce Meier" <bemeier@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 07:06:37 -0400
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my request for information
about using a SteppIR antenna in an SO2R configured station.

Unfortunately, the phrasing of my question was unclear and therefor
misunderstood by many.   My real question could have been simplified by
asking if anyone has a SteppIR antenna used in a multi rig environment where
the SteppIR antenna is NOT dedicated to only ONE of the rigs?  I currently
have 14 different HF antennas and by using Array Solutions StackMatch and
SIXPAKs I have the flexibility of moving any band group (stack or
vertical/dipole) of antennas to either rig as long as the other rig is not
using that band group.  Based on my research and your emails it is my
current opinion that the SteppIR controller requires band data (frequency)
information from the rig to "auto tune".   Unless I have misinterpreted the
information, that suggests the SteppIR must be dedicated to one rig.   I
believe I would be able to use some type of "Y" cable configuration and
manually move the antenna from rig to rig but that would be too manual and
not practical in a real time implementation.

If anyone has a way around the above, please let me know.

For this reason, in my "I am getting older and downsizing my antenna farm /
towers" project, I have decided to go with an alternate antenna solution.

73,

Bruce N1LN