Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R (Bruce Meier N1LN)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R (Bruce Meier N1LN)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 10:59:52 -0700
On 8/2/2019 4:06 AM, Bruce Meier wrote:
My real question could have been simplified by
asking if anyone has a SteppIR antenna used in a multi rig environment where
the SteppIR antenna is NOT dedicated to only ONE of the rigs?

I've been doing that for 10 years with the SDR100 controller.  It has a manual mode that simply  requires that the operator choose the band on which to operate. There is a pair of Band Up and Down buttons that changes bands. Works fine.

I currently
have 14 different HF antennas and by using Array Solutions StackMatch and
SIXPAKs I have the flexibility of moving any band group (stack or
vertical/dipole) of antennas to either rig as long as the other rig is not
using that band group.  Based on my research and your emails it is my
current opinion that the SteppIR controller requires band data (frequency)
information from the rig to "auto tune".

SteppIR has recently introduced a new controller. I have no idea what it does beyond transfer more dollars from your wallet to theirs. :)

73, Jim K9YC