Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:37:34 -0400
Lots of variables involved but for what it is worth, before my R8 came down from excessive winds I enjoyed getting comparative signal reports between it (mounted in the clear with base at 15') and a 40m dipole at 70' firing E-W. Outside of the USA to ZS and VK etc the vast majority of times the dipole would have a 10-12 dB advantage over the R8. To Europe it was maybe 6-12 dB difference in favor of the dipole.

Within the USA there were times the two would be the same but more times then not the dipole would dominate except to the north or south.

Cannot address 75m but BW was never an issue with the R8 as it covered most of the entire band with a 2:1 or less SWR. Both antennas fed with about the same length of LMR-400 and both using CM chokes at the feedpoint.

I had mine for many years and even though it could never compete with the dipole out in DX land I miss it. It was a nice antenna and not having any directivity and being able to operate so many bands without a tuner was nice esp for tuning around etc.

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....