Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical
From: Phil <pmills7@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 16:52:25 -0500
My personal experience with the R9 was not good.  I'd been
a Cushcraft fan for years and when my R8 got trashed I
decided to put the R9 to have the 80 meter coverage.

First, the antenna is tall and you really need to have the
upper portion guyed or it won't stand a severe storm.  Then,
the instructions give no information on the adjustment of
the 80 and 40 meter coils, so I assembled the antenna with
my coils set as the factory shipped them.  The swr on both
80 and 40 was terrible...well over 5 to 1.  20 meters and up
had very low swr.

I would recommend this antenna only if you can guy it and if
you have a place were you can set it up and take it down easily
until you get the 80 and 40 meter coils tuned to your satisfaction.

73, Phil W5BVB