Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tests of penetrating oils

To: Julio Peralta <jperalta4@verizon.net>, Tower Talk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: Tests of penetrating oils
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 19:00:12 -0700
Subject: Tests of penetrating oils

I ran across this by accident, any comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

Julio, W4HY

This test doesn't impress me as valid.
The tester artificially "aged" the bolts
using some procedure that has no validation
that it accurately corresponds to real world
rusted on bolts.  Most of the oils had a small
(~10%) effect on torque, so why even bother with
them.  Even the best was only 20% to 30%.
My experience with these oils is that
they often make a substantial difference in real
world experience. He never demonstrates this.

Another issue is that it is not unusual for real
world hardware to allow some rotation, maybe 30
degrees, and then freeze up.  This secondary freezing
is where the oils are most handy.  The test in the
video doesn't address this at all.

Before someone asks:  No, I don't have a better
testing paradigm.  The fact that I don't doesn't
make this one worthwhile.

Rick N6RK