Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2019 20:16:27 -0500
On 9/4/2019 17:17, wc1m73@gmail.com wrote:
Despite my way-too-long post, I forgot to address the question of whether all
grounds should be disconnected during a lightning storm.

My theory has always been that, with the station equipment well bonded together, it is safe to leave the ground connected, as long as EVERYTHING else is disconnected. That leaves no path for current to flow through anything. I can disconnect the transmitting antennas with one coax, all the control cables and rx antennas with another big connector, and power with one 120 and one 240 V plug. That just leaves the ethernet cable, which I try not to forget.

In any case, my primary goal is to prevent a fire, and disconnecting the ground from the equipment probably wouldn't help there. I hope I never have to test that theory.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA