[TowerTalk] C31XR internitted high SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C31XR internitted high SWR
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:28:35 -0700
Buddy  had a F12   5BA.   When  winds  blew, the...  I think.....  17 +  15m
els  would   smack each other.
It  might have been    17  + 12.     Our fix  was small  lexan rectangular
plates, used as  spacers,  with  correct sized  holes punched.
Problem solved....  no way a longer  ele   can smack.....  an  immediately
adjacent, much  shorter  ele.   We  told  Tom,  N6BT  about
our  fix,  and  you will  see  it described, plus  diagram,  in his  book.....
array  of light.

One  spacer per ele  half.... and only  a few feet  out from  boom.   Although
it  was then  described In his book,  dunno  if he implemented it
in  his production runs.    Think  we  used  SS  hose  clamps  or  UV
resistant  ty-raps, on  each side of  plate.... to stop  plate  migration.
On  the  5BA, several of the  els  are only  4 inches  apart.... center  to
center.

Another buddy  north of me  has a  F12  C31-XR.   High  swr on  15m  SSB.  The
fix  was  aprx  2.5 inches  removed from  tips  of  DE.
F12  had  made the  15M   DE  too  long.    They  all  had the  same  issue.
Easy  fix.

Jim    VE7RF