[TowerTalk] Receiving a Tower

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Receiving a Tower
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 09:01:42 -0400 (EDT)
Your greatest resource hasn't been mentioned...local friends.
Are you a club member?
In most any crowd there are a couple of people with some real world experience
and most are willing to help a fellow ham!
You didn't mention the width of your gate, but if it'd just fencing you could
take it down.
A rollback wrecker could slide your tower out of the truck in minutes, then
back it into your yard and slide it off.
This was just done here, with an 89 footer.
Call all the tow companies in your area and see which is most cooperative.
Around here, unloading and dropping in your yard would be under $100, but I
don't know about Yankeeland, likely more.

Have you looked for a used tower?
Hams are dying like flies and I see used towers regularly.
An excellent 50 footer is usually under $1500, sometimes well under and
sometimes even free.
I wouldn't pay for a new crankup!
What would I do?  Use 40' for Rohn 25 house bracketed to my chimney, with a
hinged base.
I raise and lower it with a block and tackle, although a winch is planned for
"someday."
With no maintenance to the old Thunderbird in five years, the winch hasn't yet
become a priority.
Wilson
W4BOH