Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling vs Experimenting Crowds

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Modeling vs Experimenting Crowds
From: Tom Hellem <tom.hellem@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 06:54:40 -0600
Dave-

Well said. My experiences have been exactly as yours. Before I learned how to
model I felt like I was just spinning wheels, never knowing whether I was
proceeding backward or forward.
In his book N6BT stated thay any antenna will work. At a radio club meeting
once we hooked up a light bulb to the antenna port on a transceiver and worked
a couple stations across the country. Does that prove it's a good antenna?

Tom H
K0SN

> [...]
> to "just put something up and see if it works"?  That can certainly be fun,
> and I have personally built multiple dozens of different antennas just for
> grins, especially over the several decades I've operated Field Day or gone
> camping.  But if you aren't trying to optimize your results just admit that
> you don't really care.  Which is fine, of course. There are lots of aspects
> of ham radio I have zero interest in, but antennas isn't one of them and I
> would have thought that anyone subscribed to this list was here to learn how
> to make better ones.
>
> If you are indeed trying to optimize your antenna(s) , trial and error is a
> terrible way to learn how to do it because you can't control enough of the
> variables and some variables are even pretty hard to measure.  Multiple
> iterations are slow, as well as being imprecise (because of the variables) if
> you're trying to improve things like gain or pattern or the ability to be
> heard in general.
>
> It used to be that we were either stuck experimenting with antennas or doing
> laborious mathematical calculations by hand, but even basic modeling programs
> have turned that completely around.  It isn't that the models are infallible
> (they are not) .... it's our ability to quickly and easily learn from them
> that is important.  As I said above, I have built many, many antennas over
> the years and I played around with most of them to see what would happen, but
> I've learned far more from looking at the current distributions along the
> elements in EZNEC and observing the effects on gain bandwidth, pattern, and
> SWR than I ever did with various experiments.  The rest of what I've learned
> came from smarter folks than I here on TowerTalk who either understand
> antenna theory better than I do or were better at modeling that I am.  I can
> honestly say I haven't learned much of anything worthwhile from somebody who
> put up something and claimed "it worked."
>
> You say no one doubts the results of the experimenter.  That maybe true of
> the chemist or circuit designer who can control his environment, but I ALWAYS
> doubt the results of the antenna experimenter who can't explain his results
> with either theory or a suitable model, or both, because I know in most cases
> he wasn't able to control or allow for important variables (propagation,
> proximity effects, noise variability, etc) and probably didn't even
> understand enough to do so if he relied only on his experimentation to teach
> himself about antennas.  I have a few of my own examples of this, the most
> notable being an antenna I tried for Field Day one year.  I wasn't able to do
> my normal preparation so I modeled a flat elongated vertical wire rectangular
> loop fed in the middle of one of the short vertical segments.  The model said
> it would perform marginally at best, but it was easy to put up and could be
> fed on both 20m and 40m, so I went with it anyway.  The night before Field
 it a try and worked an FR5 (FR5DN, I think) first try using 5 watts from here
in Arizona with Q5 CW signals both ways (somewhere I have the QSL card to prove
it).  I thought hey, maybe this thing is better than I thought. It wasn't.  I
didn't work a single other DX station that night and the antenna turned out to
be one of the worst I ever built for Field Day as well.