[TowerTalk] A3 Trap Resonance

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A3 Trap Resonance
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 17:05:07 -0500
I recently ordered some replacement traps from Cushcraft/MFJ. Quality was appalling, resonances were all over the place, and one didn't work at all. After fixing the coil terminations and adding extra screws into the plastic insulator to keep them from coming apart, all that was left was to tune them.

The resonance can be adjusted by sliding the case back and forth, then drilling a new hole. It is almost impossible to couple a dip meter to the traps, as the coil is too far from the end of the case to allow magnetic coupling, and capacitive coupling is weak. The method I settled on was to attach a clip lead from a signal generator and a scope probe on opposite sides of the case on the "hot" end, with their tips barely protruding beyond the edge of the case. This results in very light capacitive coupling and, I'm pretty sure, minimal disturbance of the resonance by loading. The peak seemed to be about 50 kHz wide at the 3 dB points for the 15m traps. (Q of 400?) Has anyone else used this method, or found a better one?

MFJ told me they measure the resonance by simply connecting the trap in series with a 50 Ohm source and the input of a spectrum analyzer. I tried that, and found only a very broad null.

BTW, the MFJ TB and TC traps (15m), unlike the originals, do NOT have the same number of turns. The TC traps have 26 turns, the TB ones 25. (The originals both have 31 turns on a slightly smaller form.) The MFJ traps had varying numbers of plastic spacers on the outboard end, apparently in an attempt to lower the resonant frequency. (One had a shorted turn, and 4 spacers; I was able to remove one after unshorting the coil.)

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA