Re: [TowerTalk] Dielectric Grease

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dielectric Grease
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 15:44:17 -0700
On 9/22/19 2:24 PM, Grant Saviers wrote:
The extra dielectric is going to increase the stray capacitance and the PVC has loss.  So expect a lower self resonant frequency and more loss.

I'm trying to make some high Q coils and conclude PVC pipe is a poor form, even machined into a skeleton support.  That's CW but I thought a skeleton might be ok - NOT.  I think grey PVC is grey in part to a clay filler to make it UV resistant.

WHy not use some form of fiberglass tube? McMaster has it in all sizes and shapes that would be suitable.

Yes, glass is somewhat lossy at microwave frequencies, but this is for a HF antenna.

Or choose a traditional material like linen or paper phenolic.

Then a challenge is the grease should have very low moisture absorption or the (I suspect) reason for it is negated or worse.

On my RG400/316/179 etc pigtail ends I apply a little red insulating varnish which wicks into the braid amazingly far.  The plan is to prevent water from wicking.  A downside of TFE coax is almost nothing will stick to it.  I also apply the varnish around all bulkhead connector flanges and screws.

Grant KZ1W