Re: [TowerTalk] YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 11:51:05 -0700
On 9/24/19 11:09 AM, VE6WZ_Steve wrote:
Yesterday I decided to measure the actual voltage at base of my short HI-Z
verticals while I transmitted on the TX array.

Since I first posted about the coupling capacitor failures in these units, I
have received private emails form 4 others with the same problem.

My question is what has caused these failures? Is it a lightning event,  is it
high-potential wind static on the vertical elements or is it from TX RF
overload.

TX overload seemed possible at my location because my array is less that 100’
from the TX antenna.  I built a diode detector probe and in the field measured the
actual voltage when TX.  The results indicate at most I see 50 v at the pre-amp.  The
coupling caps are 63v rated units.  This would indicate that RF overload is not the
cause, but I would really like thoughts and opinions from others.
I have redesigned the amps to include a relay to short out the antenna when not
powered up, so I feel I am protected from any cause.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows the test set-up and the actual
measurements I made in the field.  I also talk about using gas discharge tubes
as a remedy.

https://youtu.be/TmM_YnLob68 <https://youtu.be/TmM_YnLob68>

Is the schematic for your preamps published somewhere?

Is your diode probe high Z or 50 ohm?