Re: [TowerTalk] YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] YCCC 9 circle preamp failure test
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 15:55:59 -0700
On 9/24/2019 1:36 PM, jimlux wrote:
On 9/24/19 1:14 PM, Wes wrote:
Why all of the complications?  The preamps are unity gain.

Aha.. I was hunting around for a circuit description. Yeah, it looks there's a noninverting buffer followed by a 1:1 transformer.

So it's more of an impedance buffer.  What Z does it present to the element?

(I do a lot of work with HF receivers that use short (2-3 meter) antennas feeding high Z buffers, so they're more "E-field" probes)

 Can't be more than 50K ohm (the parallel combination of the two bias resistors).  I don't know what the 5pF cap is doing, maybe suppressing something or the other, otherwise, it's contraindicated.   IMHO, of course.

Wes  N7WS