[TowerTalk] GDT sizing for feedlines

To: towertalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GDT sizing for feedlines
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 22:17:50 -0500
I have a number of feedlines that I want to apply GDT out in the field too.  This is to buy a bit of extra insurance on lightning events.

But I am wondering how to match up the GDT selection criteria with an actual need.  There are a number of specifications on the GDT and I think you want to pick the lowest voltage one that (allowing for tolerance) would not be triggered by expected RF AC levels.  Unfortunately the spec does not say "if you are hanging this off your feedline, use this rule of thumb to size our DC spec to your needs."

What "DC spark over voltage" would be the proper pick to go with say 1500W @ 50 ohms (275 RMS volts)?

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com