Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 20:24:51 -0500
The Ameritron switch uses your transmission line to supply power through a bias-T. Two polarities of DC plus AC and no voltage yield a 4 position switch. It's delightfully simple: mine is an ancient Heathkit HD1481, which works the same way the Ameritron switch does. I've never measured the isolation on mine, but the two look almost identical. Mine has been through a fair bit of abuse and has soldiered on admirably. Yes, I did burn up some traces on the remote PCB (fed a non-resonant antenna at 1+ kW through a tuner), but some jumpers across the burned up traces and it's been good ever since. Should mine ever suffer a catastrophic, non-repairable failure it'll get replaced with an Ameritron RCS-4.

Kim N5OP