Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remote switch
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 04:55:33 -0700
On 10/23/19 8:32 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
I’m a bit puzzled by the need for lots of isolation in such a switch. I understand why it’s
needed between different transceivers, but how much is truly needed between antennas to the *same*
transceiver? How much isolation exists between the antennas themselves, regardless of the switch? As an
example, how much isolation is there between my 20 m tribander and my dipole for 17 m, all on the same
mast? It’s got to be much less that across the ports of the RCS-4, doesn’t it?

An interesting question - I think it really depends on "how deep do you want the nulls/sidelobes to be" - if you have an antenna with -20 dB nulls, and you have a dipole connected with a switch with 10 dB isolation, then your nulls are limited to -10 dB

People also use these kinds of switches to switch band select filters in multi op kinds of stations (Field Day?) and switch isolation is pretty important there.