Re: [TowerTalk] DC grounding of parasitic eles with insulators ?

To: "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DC grounding of parasitic eles with insulators ?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 18:59:26 -0700
Some JKantennas designs do not have insulated elements, eg the reflector on my 2L 80m yagi and the 40m. The heavily interlaced designs (eg Navassa) are insulated. All are NEC4 designs according to discussions I've had with Ken Garg.

I agree modeling is harder with boom-element plates that electrically connect to the elements. It's the plate width discontinuity, not the grounding that causes problems. My own NEC4.2 modeling of a 5L 17m + 3L 30m single boom+feed used insulated elements for that reason. The plate approximations are probably good enough for HF monoband designs. My 5L monobanders are custom OWAs with grounded elements.

There are some guidelines for modeling closely spaced wires which have worked for me.

I am convinced from experience that W8JI is correct that P-static is really St Elmos fire discharge from element tips due to high atmospheric voltage gradients in storms. To prevent arc tracking on insulated element insulators perhaps a high value non-inductive resistor to boom might be warranted. WX protection makes it complicated IMO.

Grant KZ1W