Re: [TowerTalk] The hunt for a feedline fault - update

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The hunt for a feedline fault - update
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 20:23:18 -0700

Yes, that was my thought also.  A TDR is pretty much a frequency sweep converted to time domain (and therefore to length assuming you know the velocity factor of the line)) via an inverse FFT.  In fact, I was originally going to take the measurements at different frequencies and either try to have my math major son throw some math at it,  or I was going to load the data into EXCEL and try to do an inverse FFT on it that way (not sure how many data points Excel needs, though ...).

But then it occurred to me that I should first see what TLW would tell me, and that turned out to be a usable approach.

And yes, I was worried that even the very low power of my FA-VA5 vector impedance analyzer might be enough to alter the fault characteristics and make the measurements useless.  At a couple of frequencies when I was taking measurements from the tower end of the feedline (the long side of the fault) there was some jitter in the readings and I thought "oh crap", but luckily I had done enough damage that nothing substantially changed.  ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E