[TowerTalk] NEC4 server

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] NEC4 server
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 10:34:31 -0800
I've been thinking about putting up a server that would run NEC4.2 on user submitted decks - The idea is you would upload your input deck, and then, sometime later, your output would be there to download. Single run at a time, some sort of queuing system, some sort of "maximum run time". After some period of time, your output file would disappear (depends on how much disk space I have)

(Just for context, I've been running a bunch of jobs recently for a variety of designs with >600 segments, the GN3 Sommerfeld-Norton ground, and run times are about 5 seconds per frequency)

It would be free, as an experiment. Sort of like the servers that will produce a aziumuthal map centered at a user entered location.

The idea is that you can run your NEC2 jobs, and then, after iterating, and you want to verify against the higher quality modeling that NEC4 provides, you could do that.

Or, if your job is simple enough and runs fast enough, you could iterate a design that has buried wires, etc.

I do need to look into the NEC4 license agreement to make sure it's permitted. There's no export control issue - the executable (and source) are export controlled (EAR, not ITAR), but input and output data is not.

I'm looking for feedback on the idea - any interest in it?
Any suggestions on implementation or features?

Jim, W6RMK