[TowerTalk] LMR 400 UF issue and Low Loss cables in general Re: TowerTal

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] LMR 400 UF issue and Low Loss cables in general Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 203, Issue 15
From: Steve Davis | Davis RF <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 18:20:09 +0000
Hi Elliot

Mike, W4EF, hits it on the head ref. potential degradation of LMR 400 UF, in
outdoor environments vs. UV impact.

My firm, DAVIS RF Co., sells various RF cables, as well as control cables, and
provides government, military and numerous industries, with cable design and
solutions, not only in the RF spectrum.  We are not just wholesalers, we are
cable design engineers fulfilling many custom needs.     One cable I designed,
which many hams recognize, is Bury-Flex Tm, used also by Lockhead Northrup and
NASA ground stations.

In the past on T Talk, I have pointed out the issue with LMR-400 UF, and
suggested alternatives.

We sell a lot of Times LMR sizes, and in fairness to them, their cables in
general are superb.  However, in order to max out flexibility of UF's, they
chose to use a TPE jacket (Thermoplastic elastomer).
This outer jacket material does not hold up well to UV, over the longer term
(depending on where  in the world it is used). Times latest specs have deleted
ref. to the potential life of the cable.  And W4EF'S experience, as noted,
confirms the problem.

So, what is the alternative??:  Belden 9913F7, which has excellent flexibility,
and same attenuation specs (only slightly different at and over 2 GHz).   And,
9913F7  is LESS expensive than 400 UF.
Why is it better vs. UV??  Because they use their own formulated "Belflex" Tm
outer jacket material.  It is a highly flexible hybrid PVC.   NOTE: do not mix
this cable up with Belden 9913, which at least in the ham market has had a bad
reputation.   9913F7 is a totally different build. And I highly recommend it.

I will just add also that many customers come to me thinking they need to run
their entire length of a cable using a UF type, where there are alternatives to
that which results in our sale being less, but that also means saving the
customer his $$, which is what we want to do for our fellow hams , without
sacrificing performance and application sense.

Lastly,  we have very low prices on Low Loss cables, hardline, Andrew Heliax
and RFS Cablewave Heliax Tm equivalent.  And we do the assemblies using mfr.
Certified installers.  We provide our fellow hams with the same low wholesale
pricing as we do  all other commercial customers.  And we provide free
application consulting, unlike any other commercial or ham dealer that I am
aware of.

Contact me anytime with any questions.  73,  Steve Davis,   DAVIS RF Co.

On 11/12/19, 12:01 PM, "TowerTalk on behalf of
towertalk-request@contesting.com" <towertalk-bounces@contesting.com on behalf
of towertalk-request@contesting.com> wrote:

    Today's Topics:

       1. Re: Times Microwave LMR-400 UltraFlex Cable (Michael Tope)

    Message: 1