Re: [TowerTalk] Old Hardline

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "W4EF@dellroy.com" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Hardline
From: "Ralston, William" <William.Ralston@viasat.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 21:05:45 +0000
Mike -

I bought a 1000' spool of ½ inch hardline circa 2000 of unknown age (I don't
recall the make, it wasn't Andrew, but it was compatible with the most common
LDF4-50 connectors).  I did note there was some oxidation of the copper near
the cut ends, but cut off a few inches or more to get to clean copper.

I wound up with two runs of approximately 430' each, and the loss measured out
exactly as expected within the accuracy of my MFJ antenna analyzer.

I am still using a 130' piece of that hardline now, and it measures within 0.2
dB of expected (again, limited by the accuracy of the MFJ259B).

Assuming the jacket is intact and there aren't any kinks, it's probably fine at
HF... can't speak to VHF.

I don't if there are any theoretical concerns with aging of the dielectric or
chemical outgassing from the dielectric oxidizing the copper.  Any oxidation of
the copper through the outer jacket is going to be on the outside of the cable,
and thus not affect the electrical properties of the coax.

--Bill N7VM