Re: [TowerTalk] Broken slingshot - need quality replacement to get anten

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken slingshot - need quality replacement to get antennas up in the trees
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 07:14:32 -0600
Bob,

Although you are not looking for slingshot alternatives, I have experience
using several launch devices and recommend the use of the air launcher.  I
built my launcher using parts sourced chiefly from Lowes and Home Depot.  I
purchased a bicycle tire pump to charge the launcher.  The launcher goes with
me to Field Day.  There are always other launchers there, but mine is the one
that always works the best.  Practice allows perfect shots for every situation.

I use the old style wrap style bowhunting reel for the tag line, with about 200
yards of 20 pound braided Trilene orange line.  I like the 1 ounce launch
projectile, but have a 2 ounce version for heavier line.

My experience reveals varying air pressure yields shooting heights from 50 feet
at 10 pounds to 300 feet at 60 pounds.  This was determined viewing shots fired
near my 150 foot tower.  It is easy to aim the launcher looking down the 16
inch PVC barrel.  Because the air launcher easily goes over the highest trees,
I prefer shooting over the top of a tree rather than over a lower limb.

If anyone wants to build one of these, I can send photos.

One more note to add is that I repaired my slingshot using surgical tubing.
While it now works okay, I have grown to trust the air launcher for better
results.

73, Keith NM5G