[TowerTalk] FW: Weekend from hell

To: "'Tower Talk'" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Weekend from hell
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 23:09:44 -0600
Since this thread has somewhat morphed into a series of entertaining RFI
stories, I thought I would chime in...

Many years ago, my newlywed wife and I rented a home in an older West
Houston neighborhood.    None of the original residential electrical
services in that area were grounded.   Upon setting up a makeshift shack
with a tall ladder line fed doublet antenna over the house, I proceeded to
participate in the CQWW running about a KW of power.    Within an hour, my
wife came out knocking on the shack door wanting to know why here hairdryer
was "talking to her"!    I have no idea how or why, but I can confirm that
her hairdryer, when turned on while I was transmitting, somehow detected
artifacts of sideband audio modulation and buzzed in synch with the audio.
Later that same day, my dear wife answered the front door to receive the
wrath of our outraged neighbor, wanting to know if that large wire antenna
over our house had anything to do with her son's remote control car becoming
"possessed" by a demon.   The poor kid was terrified.    Needless to say,
that was the end of contesting activities at that QTH....

73
KM5VI