Re: [TowerTalk] JK C3S WARC Modifications

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] JK C3S WARC Modifications
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:23:16 -0800
On 11/28/19 9:58 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:
I have a C3S tribander which I seldom use except when on WARC bands.  It is
useable there but not as good as I think it would be modifying it for 24
and 18Mhz.  I wonder if anyone has tried that?  I don't care about 10 and
15.  I think by just changing the dimension, i.e making the 10-meter
elements longer for 24Mhz  and the 15-meter element shorter to cover 18
Mhz, would possibly work.  Is there anyone who has done this successfully?

This is an excellent use for a modeling code and an optimizer. There's no "rule of thumb" that will get the right lengths and coupling between the elements.

Get yourself a copy of 4nec2 or EZnec or AC6LA's tools, and have at it.

I can't speak for the latter two, but the first one lets you specify the optimization criteria with multiple frequencies, and so forth.

I'd start by not worrying about tapered elements - it might be that with the element spacings on the stock antenna, there's nothing that will actually work. So you're basically just working with 9 wires - a real simple model to enter.