Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Woes

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Woes
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 16:07:48 -0600
I'm not sure ground the coax shield at the feedpoint is really necessary, provided the driven element is connected to the boom either via a matching network (omega match, as on a TH7) or through a shunt choke ala N9NB. I'm assuming here that the shield is connected to the tower at the base and the cable runs along the tower, except perhaps for a rotator loop. Shouldn't the voltage on the coax shield (during shunt feeding) at the input to the balun be almost exactly the same as that on the boom? If so, very little current will flow through the balun.  I certainly can't hurt to connect it to the boom, but I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, with added connectors to weatherproof, etc.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA