Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:46:13 -0600
An alternative to the stretching exercise would be to purchase hard drawn copper wire, here are the specifications: http://www.cmewire.com/catalog/sec02-bcc/bcc-01.pdf. BTW, I used to purchase copperweld however it held so terribly at P40A that I quite using it.

John KK9A

Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote

Hi Jim,

”A major advantage of using stretched wire is that un-stretched copper
will stretch under tension over years. Before changing to stretched
wire,”

I have seen you mention this a number of times in the past and I have been meaning to ask you some questions about it.

My non-engineering understanding of wires and stretch is that a given wire after being subject to variable strength forces over a given period of time, will stretch only so far before it breaks. Assuming that that is conceptually correct, let’s say that we have two wires – Wire A and Wire B. Wire A has been pre-stretched before being put up and is now compared against Wire B which has just been put up without being pre-stretched

Now we subject both wires to the same forces over the same period of time. I would expect that going forward Wire A will not stretch as far as Wire B, but is more likely to break and break sooner under significant force than Wire B because it has already been pre-stretched. Wouldn’t this be correct?

If this is not correct, can you please explain why?

Tnx & 73

Bob  KQ2M