Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion 2800 Rotator Cable Replacement
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 13:49:03 -0800
On 12/10/2019 1:13 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
Of course I meant to say "with no issues" in my post.  The nylon coating on
THHN does quickly deteriorate outdoors however I believe that the nylon's
purpose is to lessen friction and improve chemical resistance. Neither of
these are issues to me and the PVC underneath is pretty tough.

The 350 ft run to my Yaesu rotator are two 250 ft runs of #14-2 Romex (plus ground) to the base of the tower, laying on the ground. Transitioned to something smaller to go 120 ft up the tower. Nine years so far with no issues.

I've used THHN extensively for wire antennas and radials. My current favorite for high dipoles is bare #8 that is stretched to make it hard drawn #9 -- attach one end to a fixed object and the other to the trailer hitch on the SUV, pull slowing until it breaks.

A major advantage of using stretched wire is that un-stretched copper will stretch under tension over years. Before changing to stretched wire, I found that I had to circumcise my 80M dipoles (#10 THHN) every few years to keep them on frequency. For my fan dipoles, I now use stretched wire for the longest element that bears the pulling stress and THHN for the shorter elements that do not.

73, Jim K9YC