Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Mystery

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Mystery
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 12:22:51 -0600
Another very interesting data point:

The 40m full wave is supported near the top of the tower on a short side arm. That's the feedpoint, 1/4 wave from one end. It's like a lopsided inverted V or sloper. There's a balun, but the feedline is isolated from the tower, and pulled as far from it as possible. Still, there's no doubt that some power is coupled into it when shunt feeding the tower on 160.

I connected a dummy load and a power meter to the 40m coax, just to see how much power came back. Initially, 5 W was coming from that antenna. However, when "something" heated up and the shunt feed SWR rose, that power dropped to 1.2 W. This seems to make it almost certain that it is the 40m balun which is heating. (And that would take way more than 5 W.) So, I think I've found the culprit.

I'm not sure what to do about it. I only use that antenna for receiving, but it's useful. It is a bead balun, which would have pretty low impedance on 160. One possibility would be to make a receive only balun with very high impedance on 80 and 160.  It might not survive the initial tests, but it wouldn't cost much. Any other ideas?

73,
Scott K9MA