Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Mystery

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feed Mystery
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 11:06:18 -0800
On 12/13/2019 10:49 AM, RT Clay wrote:
In ON4UN's book there is a description of a large feedline trap that can be
used to decouple a dipole. Basically you have the dipole feedline wound in a
large air-wound coil (4 inch sewer pipe) resonated by a capacitor. I am using
this to decouple the 80m dipole on my tower.

This is a high-Q equivalent to the low Q of a well-designed ferrite choke. http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf The ferrite choke typically has a circuit Q on the order of 0.5, making it quite broadband. That low Q value is the result of loss coupled from the ferrite core, so a well-designed choke must limit common mode current so that there is no over-heating. More conceptual explanation is in k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf and in the ARRL Handbook.

73, Jim K9YC