Re: [TowerTalk] Lift Mast to Replace Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lift Mast to Replace Rotator
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 06:27:03 +0000
My 2c, again

In terms of number installed I think most rotators have angular contact ball bearings. HyGain, Yaesu, & prop pitch all are angular bearings, which are the only ball bearings designed for both radial and thrust loads. They should to be loaded to keep the balls in correct position in the grooves. (but die cast aluminum races and steel balls are not much of a bearing so nobody notices).

K7NV advises the entire thrust load be on the prop pitch motor.

The pipe sleeve on my HDX589 is the simplest radial bearing and has the further advantage that the mast can't tilt when the mast is raised to service the rotator. So if the vertical load is less than the spec (eg 440# for a Yaesu G1000), use a sleeve radial bearing of plastic and never ever have to lube it or replace a worn out "thrust bearing" or one seized up from rust.

Orion is an exception that uses a real thrust bearing and deep groove ball bearing combo which is spec'd for thrust loads up to 1800#. Will your tower handle that? SPID rotators also use oversize deep groove bearings so preload isn't needed. So each rotator design has different properties.

The only add-on sold as a "thrust bearing" that I think has competent engineering is the angular contact one from DX Engineering.

Grant KZ1W