[TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: "tony.kaz--- via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 15:32:10 -0500
I have a 80M wire 4-sq with 5 elevated radials at each feedpoint. I use a
Comtek box. The verticals are around my tower. It seems to work okay. I also
sunt feed the tower on 160M with 60 buried radials.

All 80M wire used is solid #14 copper enameled. I had one wire break.
Replaced with black Teflon #20 stranded tinned wire. The thing I noticed is
how the wire disappeared compared to the shiny enameled solid wire.

My question - if I replaced the solid #14 wire with black Teflon coated #20
stranded tinned copper wire am I giving up anything in performance? I would
think the Teflon wire would hold up okay?

The insulators I use are black and so is the support wire for the radials.

Just trying to do the neighborly thing. I have painted the shiny Rohn 45
with camouflage paint. The tower blends right into the cedar trees in the
back yard.

73,

N2TK, Tony