Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 12:17:31 -0800
On 1/7/2020 11:47 AM, jimlux wrote:

Next time someone asks me about how NEC works, I'll just point them to Pocklington's paper.<grin>

The earliest published work on the "precedence" effect in acoustics was by Joseph Henry c.a. 1850 (THAT Joseph Henry, whose name is on the unit of inductance). It's the basis of the Bell Labs patent for stereo c.a. 1936, a method far superior to the one published in the UK in the same time frame. Henry was heavy duty in science in those days -- he consulted on the acoustic design of the meeting rooms of the houses of congress, and on acoustic propagation of sound from foghorns. He was first director of the Smithsonian; the government closed for the day he died and the day of his funeral! We could use that sort of respect for science today. :)

References and discussion here. http://k9yc.com/AES-StereoASGWeb.pdf

Precedence effect is now most commonly called the "Haas Effect" as the result of a graduate-level paper published by Helmutt Haas nearly a century after Henry.

73, Jim K9YC