[TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 09:57:08 -0800
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 14:37:10 -0700
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

<According to EZNEC+, an 80m dipole at 100 feet (resonant and matched at
<3.7 MHz) has a 2:1 SWR bandwidth from 3.55 MHz to 3.87 MHz with #10
<copper wire and from 3.57 MHz to 3.86 MHz with #18 copper wire. Much
<thicker conductors or similar conductors at higher frequencies would
<make more difference of course (I've modeled 12 inch diameter wire cages
<for 80m and they make a usable improvement in bandwidth), but in spite
<of what somebody just posted the advantage for #10 wire on 80m does not
<seem significant to me for bandwidth.

<Dave?? AB7E

##  10  gauge  wire  is  .102  inches  in  diameter.
      18  gauge  wire  is .0403  inches  in  diameter.

##  .102 / .0403  =   2.531

##  10  gauge is  2.531  x  the  circumference  of  18  gauge  wire.   Thats a
bunch.
Thats a huge  difference  in  Length  to  diameter  ratio.

##  I  have  never  tried a    80m  wire dipole  at  100  ft,  but  have
used  a  full  sized  wire  inverted  vee  on  80m.

##   10  gauge  wire  provided  for a   much wider  BW,  vs  the   16  +18
gauge  I  tried  previously.
2  other  folks here  in  town tried the  same experiment...with  same
results.   Again,  inverted  vee  used.
Is  EZNEC modeling    your  dipole  correctly ?

Jim  VE7RF